What Makes A Good Friend?
This question popped into my head today for some reason. Why? I have no idea, just one of those random moments I suppose, so I decided to pondered on the question for a while and see what I came up with.
Q. What makes a good friend? I then thought and considered on what were the most important things to me? What did I value the most in a friendship?
The more I considered these points, the deeper my thinking grew. It wasn’t a question I could answer quickly, the answers were numerous, but I think less is enough for now so I’ll keep it short and succinct.
So this is what I came up with:-
- Trust: For me this was first base. Even if the friendship breaks I think respecting the trust and confidence shown to you at the time of the friendship should still be respected. I’m sure there will be differing views on this point.
- Being honest with their opinions: Difference is good when its well grounded, balanced and shared well.
- They are either very similar to me or totally opposite to me, to challenge me.
- Givers: Knowing how to give is important. I learnt a lot from friends who are just natural givers. They are just generous i.e. if they cook, they cook for the whole neighbourhood they do not know how to do meals for one. Or if you visit they are in the kitchen rustling up something while you chat.
- Their Funny: I need to laugh and laugh BIG. I need friends that I can laugh with abandon, with tears like a small child is the best.
- They have time for friends.
These are a part of my top 10 qualities. The things that work for me. This list is not just a list of separate qualities or things. Because when I consider my closest friends, they tick all of these boxes.
So what makes a good friend for you? I would love to hear from you. So if you’re visiting my page for the first time or a follower, I would love to hear about the things you value in a friend.